Welcome

I hope you all enjoy my thoughts and theories thank you for reading!

About Me

My photo
I'm in my third year of college and I have no direction! I also have found if I use my first name initial and my middle initial then my full last name people think I'm a literary genius.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Film History or Just Commercial Whoring: A Review of Avatar


I write this review after letting James Cameron's Avatar sink into my brain for 24 hours. I ended up catching the film in 2D, I will be taking another trip to see it in the 3D I-Max experience. For months the media of Hollywood has been promoting and advertising James Cameron's Avatar, as the film to change all films, and the next Star Wars; which are bold statements for a director or a studio house to make about their film that no one had any clue what it was about but James Cameron. So the real question on everyone's mind is, "Did Avatar live up to the hype?" and the answer is clearly no. Avatar opens up with some stunning visuals and a dark journal log placed over the beautiful CGI work. The journal starts to give some nice dark background story but instantly the film shifts. Avatar tells the story of an ex-marine thrown back into the war in Pandora over land and a metal. In short what you think happens, happens with the plot, love, war, twist of sides. Now I give so much props to James Cameron for the beautiful universe he has set his story in, over time Hollywood has strayed from original ideas and just plays with remakes, and novels; so in that since James Cameron I bow to you. When a man spends months and money building his own language for his creatures to use, then he deserves some props. Also the visual effects are stunning like promoted throughout the years, but groundbreaking? No. We all have seen as my friend Mike Brinker says " Photo Realistic CGI", if there is something groundbreaking about this film; it is the fact we now know we can build whole CGI worlds and place humans in it and it not look like CHEESE MASTER. But beyond the beautiful world, creatures, and religion James Cameron's has created Avatar has nothing to offer. The characters that inhabit the world of Avatar seem to just be colorful cardboard cutouts placed in this stunning new world. After leaving the theater I was struggling to remember the main characters name and I can't even remember the Generals name. What Avatar lacked was character depth and developments, it's one thing to keep your characters story partially hidden or even spotty, but these characters seemed to not have any depth, just no foundation. Now could this be fixed in sequels and prequels, maybe? But I don't see the sequels being promising, in Avatar there is no lurking constant dark evil, like the Empire or Darth Vader was to Star Wars. It seems that all Avatar could be is just a repeat of the first, humans are evil and want the metal on Pandora and they fight. But if you are looking for a fun adventure movie for the holidays, Avatar will provide that for you. Seeing James Cameron's new universe is worth the money and the time to see the film. But if your hoping for a 1977 groundbreaking Star Wars experience you will be let down.

No comments:

Post a Comment